Do You Have the Right Stuff?
When people tell me they want to live and work abroad, I encourage them. Living and working abroad can be a mind-opening experience. Yet it can also be tough — a real challenge if you’re not ready for it. “How do I know if it’s right for me,” many people ask. You can start by asking yourself a series of questions — questions that begin to give you an indication if you’re ready for the globetrotting life:
- Do you have a real sense of adventure?
- Would you consider yourself extremely flexible?
- Do you operate well outside your comfort zone?
- Do you thrive on diversity – lots of it and all at the same time?
- Do you like being in charge, and can you lead among chaos & confusion?
- Are you curious – deep-down interested – in what makes the world go round?
- Can you build relationships across culture and through a second language?
- Are you willing to go the extra mile by using diplomacy & persistence?
- Do you know how to listen – and read between the lines?
- Can you handle failure?
This list is only the beginning. You should have thoughtful conversations with your HR team, your friends and family, and yourself. Going global is a big step — and one that will probably change the course of your life. Make sure it’s the right course.
Do you have a story to share on how you decided to move to a foreign market?